This is an in-progress list of useful places, people and services in and around Princeton that can help you live and work more sustainably. If you'd like to see something listed here, please contact us.
For residents and visitors
- Home energy use: tips on how to lower your heating/cooling bills and save energy
- Home water use: water conservation is not just for drips!
- Recycling: details of curbside recycling, the food waste collection program and other recycling
- Shopping: please support farmers markets and locally-owned shops
- Sustainable & Community Investing - documents and resources from our Feb 2014 Great Ideas Breakfast on "Greening Your Money, Investing with Intention"
- Transportation/getting around sustainably: by public transport, bicycle or on foot
- "Princeton Green Connections" Green Map shows Princeton's parks & public spaces, bike & walking paths, and other green resources; add your favorite green place or path!
- Yards/gardens: compost, leaves, brush, vegetables, more
Reference Books by Local Authors
- Choosing to Live Local by Fran McManus (this short booklet can be downloaded as a pdf)
- Logical Miracles, Stories of Hope and Healing from the Suppers Program, edited by Dor Mullen
- Plant Local, Do It Yourself Native Plant Gardens, by Jared Rosenbaum
- Simple Actions for Jews to Help Green the Planet by Rabbi Dov Peretz Elkins
- Walk the Trails In and Around Princeton by Sophie Glovier
Local Sustainability Blogs
- Bike Princeton (Facebook Page)
- Lazy Shades of Green, by Jeanne Jackson DeVoe
- Princeton Housewarming, by Andrew Thomas
- Princeton Nature Notes, by Stephen Hiltner
- Princeton Primer, by Stephen Hiltner
- Walkable Princeton, by Sam Bunting and David Keddie
Environmental and Conservation Organizations
Local groups involved with conserving local natural habitats include:
- Princeton Environmental Commission
- Princeton Shade Tree Commission
- D&R Greenway Land Trust
- Friends of Princeton Open Space
- Stony Brook Millstone Watershed Association
- Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space
- Friends of Princeton Nursery Lands
Nearby sustainability organizations include: