Know someone who's made a difference to sustainability in Princeton? Tell us by Dec. 20 and they could win an award! Sustainable Princeton and the Princeton Environmental Commission are seeking nominations for the 2011 Sustainable Princeton Leadership Awards. The awards will be presented to Princeton’s best, brightest and greenest businesses, residents, teachers, school administrators, government employees, religious leaders and any others that are leading the way toward a sustainable Princeton.
Nominations are due by December 20, 2011. To nominate an individual or organization, please email Andrea Malcolm, Sustainable Princeton’s Office Assistant, with the following information:
- Name, email and address of nominee
- Name, email and address of person nominating
- Reason for the nomination
For the nomination reason, be sure to include how the nominee:
- protects and improves the natural environment;
- conserves energy; uses energy more efficiently; and uses alternative energy sources;
- avoids the use of toxic substances;
- contributes to our community’s economic well-being, and,
- meets Princeton’s social needs fairly.
Examples of specific actions may include:
- lowering carbon emissions by building, renovating or better insulating their homes or businesses in an environmentally minded manner;
- reducing water consumption by using rain barrels or other methods;
- improving water quality by having pesticide-free lawns and gardens or by turning lawns into organic edible gardens;
- reducing vehicle use through car pools, biking or taking public transportation;
- shopping locally to strengthen the local economy; and/or
- improving the quality of life of the community’s underserved populations and those in need.
The 2011 Sustainable Princeton Leadership Awards ceremony will take place on January 25th at 7:00 p.m. at the Princeton Public Library. We hope everyone will mark this date on the calendar and help us celebrate the Leadership Award winners!