The 2011 Sustainable Princeton Leadership Awards ceremony was held on January 25, 2012. The second floor of the Princeton Public Library grew very crowded as we gathered to celebrate these eight, great, Leadership Award winners! 2011 Sustainable Princeton Leadership Awardees
- People for Princeton Ridge, Developer J. Robert Hillier, and Princeton Township Attorney Ed Schmierer - for their many hours of collaborative work that led to an agreement about the Princeton Ridge Development.
- Princeton Joint Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committee - for the critical role this group played in the decision to install "sharrows" on Princeton roads.
- Friends of Princeton Open Space Trail Committee - for the untold hours of work this group has put in to mark local trails with signs, build crossings or bridges across streams, and fix muddy spots so our parks can be enjoyed year round.
- Camila Tellez, Fair Trade Princeton, 9th Grade Student at Stuart Country Day School - for founding Fair Trade Princeton and her tireless efforts to inform others of the importance of Fair Trade.
- Green Sanctuary Committee and Social Justice Committee of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Princeton - for their creation of broad-based sustainability initiatives, including installation of solar panels, energy audits, a rain garden, use of Fair Trade products and more.
- Janet Pelichero, Recycling Coordinator, Princeton Township - for her determined, informative and innovative approach to recycling, including organizing New Jersey's first curbside food waste program and many other projects that aim to increase recycling in Princeton.
- Princeton Farmer's Market - for its support of local farms, offering fresh local produce to residents and for creating an inspired public gathering place for our town.
- Charlie Yedlin, Yedlin Associates - for its installation of 58.4 Kw solar system on the Clock Building on Route 206 in Princeton. As of Fall 2011, the panels had generated 50,000 kilowatt hours of silent, renewable pollution free energy.
Thank you to all of these leaders for the good work they have done for Princeton!
The Sustainable Princeton Leadership Awards are sponsored by Sustainable Princeton and the Princeton Environmental Commission. Each year a call for nominations is issued to help us identify Princeton’s best, brightest and greenest businesses, residents, teachers, school administrators, government employees, religious leaders and any others that are leading the way toward a sustainable Princeton.