Beginning with a request for help from the Arts Council at Sustainable Princeton's Great Idea Breakfast in February, many people came together to make recycling happen at Communiversity. We would especially like to thank:
- Barbara Trelstad, Borough Council Member (who helped arrange for the recycling containers and public works staffing)
- Stephanie Chorney, Sustainable Princeton volunteer (who tirelessly made sure all the parties came together to make recycling a reality)
- Tom Janick, Sustainable Princeton Board Member and owner of Craft Cleaners (who championed the recycling team volunteers and provided them with great looking tee-shirts!)
- the 20 Sustainable Princeton Recycling Team volunteers, including local families, business people, Princeton University students and others (who helped monitor & publicize the recycling containers; and even changed some liners/removed non-recyclables when needed!)
- Princeton Borough and Princeton Township Public Works staff (who set up and took down the containers, plus replaced container liners throughout the event)
- the Mercer County Improvement Authority (who provided the recycling containers)
- the Princeton community and other visitors to Communiversity who supported this effort by using the recycling containers!
- Next year, we hope to have an even bigger and better recycling operation underway at Communiversity - with more recycling containers, better information about what to recycle, and maybe even a food & organic waste recycling option!
We also want to let everyone know about an upcoming demonstration project to improve recycling in the downtown/Hinds Plaza area, with better bins, better information and lots of publicity - stay tuned! If you would like to help with this effort, please contact Diane Landis. (Also, see the photo below posted on a local sustainability blog, showing the need for more recycling bins in downtown Princeton.)
And don't forget to do your own recycling at home, including recycling food and organic waste via the municipal organic waste curbside collection program!