- This event has passed.
Don’t be Idle, Let’s Upcycle, May 2022
May 14 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
You’ve asked for it and it’s coming back on Saturday, May 14! Please join us for our next waste collection event at the parking lot behind Monument Hall where we pledge to find upcycling and recycling opportunities for each of the following items.
Help us ensure the line moves quickly and collections change over time. Please read and follow these instructions carefully.
- Batteries: Most types of batteries will be reused or recycled through Wireless Alliance. NOTE: Battery ENDS MUST BE SEALED with clear tape or wrap to prevent electrical discharge during shipping. No corroded batteries. No car or other large batteries.
- Bikes for Adults: The PHS Biking Club is collecting bikes suitable for adults to be refurbished & distributed to those who need one. NOTE: This collection does not include children’s bikes, scooters, or biking accessories.
- Block Styrofoam™: Packaging Styrofoam™ used to encase a fragile item can be locally upcycled into picture frames. NOTE: All Styrofoam™ must be free of tape and glue! This collection does NOT include peanuts, plates, cups, egg cartons, or take-out boxes. We cannot accept spongey lookalike foams. (The lookalike foams act more like a sponge that bends or compresses. Alternatively, Styrofoam™ breaks or crumbles under force.) Finally, since we will be increasing our inspection of materials, you no longer need to bag your Styrofoam.
- Cell phones and tablets: All cell phones and tablets, as well as their accessories, can be refurbished or shredded for precious metals reclamation by Wireless Alliance. Review their information regarding data security. NOTE: To allow data cleansing of Apple products, disable the Find My iPhone Activation Lock.
- Cooking Tools: All brands of metal-based* cookware, bakeware, and cutlery (*Nonstick Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Carbon Steel, Cast Iron) will be recycled through Terracycle’s Calphalon® Cooking Tools Recycling Program. To aid in shipping, please bring these in a large box and wrap knives in paper or bubble wrap. This is a new collection we are piloting.
- Metal lawn sign frames: Metal frames are accepted for scrap metal recycling. Please remove the signs. We are not aware of any recycling opportunity for the signboards.
- Printer cartridges: Ink cartridges will be refurbished or upcycled by Wireless Alliance. All printer cartridges, including laser and inkjet, are accepted.
- Razors: All brands of blades and razors (systems and disposable units, and replaceable-blade cartridge units), rigid plastic packaging, and flexible plastic bag packaging will be recycled through Terracycle’s Gillette® Razor Recycling Program. This is a new collection we are piloting.
- Reusable bags: Gently-used reusable shopping bags will be collected for clients represented by a member of the Food Insecurity Task Force. All reusable bags are accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: The following protocols will apply to this collection.
- Disposal items should be placed in the trunk or back of the vehicle.
- Please do not drive away until we have confirmed the donated items are acceptable.
- If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!