- This event has passed.
Don’t be Idle. Let’s Upcycle! — January 2021
January 9, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
You’ve asked for it and it’s coming! Please join us for our next waste collection event where we pledge to find upcycling and recycling opportunities for each of the following items.
Help us ensure the line moves quickly. Please read and follow these instructions carefully.
- Batteries: All types of batteries will be reused or recycled through Wireless Alliance. NOTE: Battery ENDS MUST BE SEALED with clear tape or wrap to prevent electrical discharge during shipping. No corroded batteries. No car or other large batteries.
- Block Styrofoam™ and peanuts: Packaging Styrofoam™ used to encase a fragile item can be locally upcycled into picture frames. NOTE: All Styrofoam™ must be brought in a CLOSED BAG to prevent debris during transportation and storage! This collection does NOT include plates, cups, egg cartons, or take-out boxes. Finally, we cannot accept spongey lookalike foams. Ie, Styrofoam™ breaks or crumbles under force, while the lookalikes act more like a sponge that bends or compresses. Learn more – check out the Stryrofoam Story video!
- Cell phones and tablets: All cell phones and tablets, as well as their accessories, can be refurbished or shredded for precious metals reclamation by Wireless Alliance. Review their information regarding data security. NOTE: To allow data cleansing of Apple products, be sure to disable the Find My iPhone Activation Lock.
- Printer cartridges: Ink cartridges will be refurbished or upcycled by Wireless Alliance. All printer cartridges, including laser and inkjet, are accepted.
- Pill bottles: EMPTY and clean prescription pill bottles can be upcycled into Preserve products via the Gimme5 collection at Whole Foods. NOTE: Remove labels and ensure bottles are empty. Leftover medicine should instead be taken to the Prescription Drug Drop Box in the lobby of the Police Department.
- Wine corks: Synthetic or natural corks can be upcycled into art and building projects through local artists or the Cork Club program. Any cork is accepted. Learn more – check out the Cork Story video!
PLEASE NOTE: The following COVID-19 protocols will apply to this collection.
- Limit of one person per vehicle
- All residents must remain in their vehicle at all times with their windows closed
- Disposal items must be placed in the trunk or back of the vehicle.
- Items cannot be in the passenger seat
- Containers will not be returned.