- This event has passed.
SP @ SHREDfest – October 2022
October 15, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pmFree
The Municipality of Princeton will hold its annual shredding and electronics recycling event on Saturday, October 15 From 10 AM – 2 PM at 101 Walnut Lane for Princeton residents. Please review the Municipality’s collections and drop-off instructions here. We are thrilled to be offering additional recycling opportunities at this event as well, as described below.
At this event, Sustainable Princeton will collect each of the following items for recycling or upcycling. Please read the green italicized instructions carefully.
- Batteries (taped): Most types of batteries will be reused or recycled through Wireless Alliance. NOTE: Battery ENDS MUST BE SEALED with clear tape or wrap to prevent electrical discharge during shipping. No corroded batteries. No car or other large batteries.
- Block Styrofoam™: Packaging Styrofoam™ used to encase a fragile item can be locally upcycled into picture frames. NOTE: All Styrofoam™ must be free of tape and glue! This collection does NOT include peanuts, plates, cups, egg cartons, or take-out boxes. We cannot accept spongey lookalike foams. (The lookalike foams act more like a sponge that bends or compresses. Alternatively, Styrofoam™ breaks or crumbles under force.) Finally, since we will be increasing our inspection of materials, you no longer need to bag your Styrofoam.
- Cell phones and tablets: All cell phones and tablets, as well as their accessories, can be refurbished or shredded for precious metals reclamation by Wireless Alliance. Review their information regarding data security. NOTE: To allow data cleansing of Apple products, disable the Find My iPhone Activation Lock.
- Cooking Tools: All brands of metal-based* cookware, bakeware, and cutlery (*Nonstick Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Carbon Steel, Cast Iron) will be recycled through Terracycle’s Calphalon® Cooking Tools Recycling Program. This is a new collection we are piloting. To aid in shipping, please bring these in a large box and wrap knives in paper or bubble wrap.
- Printer cartridges: Ink cartridges will be refurbished or upcycled by Wireless Alliance. All printer cartridges, including laser and inkjet, are accepted.
- Razors: All brands of blades and razors (systems and disposable units, and replaceable-blade cartridge units), rigid plastic packaging, and flexible plastic bag packaging will be recycled through Terracycle’s Gillette® Razor Recycling Program. This is a new collection we are piloting.
- Reusable bags: Gently-used reusable shopping bags will be collected for clients represented by a member of the Food Insecurity Task Force. All reusable bags are accepted.
NOTE: We can no longer accept corks or #5 plastics. We apologize for any inconvenience.